ChildFund International USA is a non-profit, non-governmental organization that focuses on the implementation of programs and projects for the well-being of children in order to promote the full exercise of their rights, the participation of community organizations and families; contribute to the promotion of societies where their individuals and institutions participate in the assessment, protection and respect of children’s rights.
Child Sponsorship is one of the main funding source of the organization; the sponsorship delivery entails the enrollment and disaffiliation of children; mailing of communications from/to children and sponsors; the elaboration and translation of communications from sponsored children and their sponsors and their tracking through sponsorship systems, among other processes.
About the outsourcing of operational sponsorship processes:
In FY 2017 a series of initiatives were carried out in the Americas Region in order to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of Sponsorship processes. One of these initiatives was the outsourcing of sponsorship processes in the so called “alternative presence countries[i]” Ecuador, Bolivia, Honduras and Guatemala, related to:
- Courier management (incoming and outgoing communications and registry) according to the local partner organization´s structures, ChildFund country offices and sponsor´s countries.
- Translation of child and sponsorship communications as well as child enrollment information (narratives) according to Sponsorship policies and quality standards.
- Review, scan, screen and registry of child and sponsorship communications into the Global Sponsorship systems and platforms (LTE, Salesforce and Donor Portal) according to established process flow and procedures.
- Registry child new enrollments and their updates into Sponsorship system according to quality standards and procedures.
It is also expected that the outsourcing company must provide:
- Submission of periodic reports on the processing of communication pieces, courier and contents as to provide corresponding follow up, monitoring and quality.
- Providing information to local partners and country offices when specific follow up is needed.
- Holding monthly meetings with the Country Sponsorship Engagement and Retention Manager in order to review operations and improvement options; allow for regular visits in order to monitor the use of platforms and tools.
Ecuador and Bolivia embarked in this initiative in early fiscal year 19 (June 2018) while Guatemala has been implementing the initiative for four years. Honduras is currently finalizing the bidding process, which is why will not be considered in the assessment.
The hypotheses for the outsourcing initiative are:
- The outsourcing of Sponsorship Operational Process will result in savings for the organization (between 10-30%)
- Outsourcing company is an established company with a customer portfolio, experience, infrastructure and basic administrative structure which allows for a competitive service offer.
- As sponsorship processes to be outsourced are standard, the approach to identify and select the vendor can also be standard across countries:
- Standard terms of reference can be used
- The search looks for logistic companies which are ideal for this type of outsourcing: experience in handling volume transportation of materials, correspondence or other goods.
- The outsourcing of Sponsorship Operational Processes will not affect the accomplishment of quality standards:
- Timeliness – at least the 95% of sponsors and child communications are processed and sent to corresponding recipients.
- The outsourcing company implements recruitment processes that ensure adequate staff is hired.
- the outsourcing company implements documented quality controls for translated communications and ready- to- send communications that allow for the identification of any child safeguarding or any other quality content concern.
- The Sponsorship processes being outsourced are monitored by ChildFund through regular monitoring visits, reports and regular communication and difficulties found are acted upon.
- The outsourcing company reaches a high level of productivity given a number of months, when the level of ongoing coaching and monitoring from the country office reduces.
- The outsourcing company brings innovation to the outsourced sponsorship processes:
- Suggests improvements to make processes more efficient and effective (use of tools for tracking communications, software, reduction of redundant steps, activities, result-based management/processes)
- The outsourcing company ensures the security of information:
- Safe facilities
- Independent space
- Safety devices
- General Objective
Assess the outsourcing of Sponsorship processes in the Americas
- Specific Objectives
- Assess each of the hypothesis on which the outsourcing initiative is based, in Ecuador, Bolivia and Guatemala.
- Based on the assessment, provide identification of different approaches if any, best practices, recommendations for improvement and for further scale up.
- Determine risks if any in the current operation of outsourcing companies in Ecuador, Bolivia and Guatemala and its mitigation measures.
- Recommend on whether having local contracts or a regional company running multiple countries could be the best option in the next iteration of outsourcing
- Provide time and documentary support to the consultant through interviews and face to face meetings in order for the consultant to count on all information needed to deliver the expected outcomes.
- Carry out visits to the outsourcing companies in one or two countries and hold meetings/interviews with the Sponsorship Engagement and Retention Managers at ChildFund in each of these countries as well as other staff if needed.
- Hold meetings/interviews the Regional Sponsorship Manager and the Regional Financial Manager in the Americas.
- Request the information needed in order to carry out the work.
- Carry out the assessment through a methodology that allows to determine to what degree proposed hypotheses, in each context, have been proven right or wrong.
- A detailed work plan specifying the methodology and schedule.
- A comprehensive report that details the findings on the assessment of each hypothesis and:
- Identification of different approaches if any and how they influence or not results
- Identification of best practices across countries
- Recommendations for improvement and further scale up.
- Risk analysis and mitigation measures about the current operation of outsourcing companies in Ecuador, Bolivia and Guatemala.
- Risk analysis of keeping the model of local outsourcing versus regional outsourcing
- Main activities
- Desk review: sponsorship processes flow, sponsorship policies, terms of reference
- Interviews with key staff: Sponsorship Engagement and Retention Managers in Ecuador, Bolivia and Guatemala; Regional Finance Manager, Regional Sponsorship Manager.
- In situ interviews and review of processes in Outsourcing companies (as required by the assessment of the hypothesis).
- Review of outsourcing reports and ChildFund reports on outsourcing performance, action plans and its monitoring.
- Length of the consultancy
The consultancy length will be of two months and a half.
- Consultant´s profile
The consultant has expertise on process management, process reengineering and optimization, logistics, value chain, cost-efficiency analysis, and quality management systems.
Experience on similar assessments for regional companies/organizations.
Residence/presence in Ecuador, Bolivia or Guatemala is highly desirable.
The consultant should be able to produce the deliverables of the assessment in English and Spanish.
- Deadlines for deliverables
|Work plan & detailed methodology||07/06/2019|
|Draft of deliverable 2
Final deliverables 2,3,4
VX. Payment Schedule
|Phases||% de pago|
|Work plan & and detailed methodology||30|
|Draft of deliverable 2||30|
|Final deliverables 2,3 & 4||40|
VI. Submission of Proposals
Proposals should be submitted up to the 29th of May 2019. Proposal should include methodology, work plan, and economic proposal
Please submit your proposals to Ana Luisa Rivadeneira, Regional Sponsorship Manager, ChildFund International, USA, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
 LTE, SalesForce and Donor Portal are global Sponsorship systems that are managed by the ChildFund International Office and of which the Outsourcing has spscific access and profiles
 Child Safeguarding is an organizational policy, part of a global and international effort that aims to keep children safe from any harm that may be caused as a result of the organizations’ work.
[i] The Alternative Presence countries is an approach carried out in the Region of the Americas for four countries, Ecuador, Bolivia, Honduras and Guatemala, by which they underwent a restructure process which enhanced the level of implementing local partners while reduced the operations/ support structure in country offices; the approach includes the implementation of a shared service unit and the outsourcing of certain operational processes.