Overview & Responsibilities
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) is the only global intergovernmental organization exclusively devoted to promoting the rule of law to advance peace and sustainable development. IDLO works to enable governments and empower people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity.
With its Headquarters in Rome, Italy, a Branch Office in The Hague, and United Nations Liaison Offices in New York and Geneva, IDLO carries out policy advocacy, research and learning, as well as rule of law and justice programmes including through some 17 Country Offices operating in every region of the world.
The Department of Programmes is the central management and coordinating function for program delivery and capacity development. It is responsible for the implementation of IDLO’s global program portfolio for field and non-field locations in line with organizational strategy.
Reporting to the Field Programme Manager, the Programme Associate works in close collaboration with IDLO’s Offices (Headquarters and Field Locations) and internal support functions to provide administrative and process assistance to programme teams to support programme delivery.
- Provide administrative support to the Project team and ensure process integrity:
- Support mission preparation including Travel Requests, visa, etc.
- Assist in the onboarding of new project staff, inclusive of preparing background readings.
- Ensure internal IDLO processes are followed, preparation and follow up of Travel Requests, Payment Request, and Purchase Requisitions.
- Draft meetings minutes, and of calls with external donors/partners.
- Organize and maintain master file of programme-related data and materials, programme record files, technical publications, contracts, to be made available to management when requested.
- Support the implementation of consistent templates and tools across the various programmes.
- Assist with translations related to the programme (if applicable).
- Support the coordination of work and information flow between offices (HQ/CO) and support functions (e.g., HR, Office of the General Counsel, Finance, Procurement) focusing on the following:
- Support in processing contracts and amendments for Contractors/Consultants. Maintain up to date files and alert the Supervisor of action needed to be taken.
- Coordinate with Human Resources to ensure that administrative aspects of new consultants are processed.
- Provide support to programme development including coordination amongst programme teams and support functions.
- Coordinate the transmission of draft and narrative reports between offices/units.
- Initiate the process of obtaining signatures and approvals of documents, drafting, and circulating routing slips.
- Assist in the organization of institutional and programme events/courses/external visits/presentations and coordinate with other IDLO interested departments about these.
- Carry out desk research on specific topics to provide input to support the development of new proposals including:
- Proposals, concept notes, briefing notes, summary status reports, and narrative reports.
- Provide input into IDLO publications, communications materials, web content.
Education and Experince:
- University degree in Development, Social Science, Law or similar field is required.
- 1-3 years of relevant professional experience, providing programme support preferably within international organizations/settings.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work constructively with several internal service departments.
- Familiarity with standard programme and data management tools.
- Works well with others and actively participates, works effectively across and within IDLO organizational boundaries.
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
- Ability and willingness to travel to field locations, if necessary.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other ICT and internet software.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, credibility, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate
Terms & Conditions
For this locally recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an Affiliate contract of 12 months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and funding availability. IDLO shall offer the selected candidate a yearly basic salary of USD $ 18,000. - medical insurance, and leave entitlements in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature, or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
Application deadline: 26 November 2023 (23:59 hrs Rome time)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection. The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.